TO ENDORSE OR JOIN THE EMAIL LIST CONTACT: MAYDAYSHUTITDOWN@RISEUP.NET
so·cial strike [soh-shuh strahyk]
A mass strike with socio-political demands such as a living wage, clean water, or a city-wide rent freeze.
fly·ing pick·et [flahy-ing pik-it]
A picket traveling from place to place to support local pickets, where needed, during any strike; the purpose is to combat all forms of class betrayal or collaboration by preventing scabs from crossing picket lines.
We call on different social and climate justice movements to shut down oppressive infrastructure by uniting and organizing direct actions and flying pickets on the morning of May Day.
The idea is that affinity groups will set up pickets and shut-downs at different key infrastructural sites depending on who needs support.
The site of the 1946 Oakland General Strike. Latham Square, be our central meeting location.
At the assemblies people will will discuss ideas and break out into committees or affinity groups to organize direct actions or shut-downs in preparation for May 1st.
May Day #Shutitdown Assembly fliers to print and hand out!
First Planning Assembly – Sunday – April 19th – 2:00 PM – Latham Square – Broadway and Telegraph Ave. – Oakland – CA
Second Planning Assembly – Sunday – April 26th – 2:00 PM – Latham Square – Broadway and Telegraph Ave. – Oakland – CA
Oakland May Day 2015 Proposal:
– 5:30 AM – Converge for Mass Flying Pickets / Shut Downs @ Latham Square – Broadway and Telegraph Ave.
– 9:00 AM – ‘Rank And File’ Labor Rally @ Latham Square
– 7:00 PM Anti-capitalist Rally and March @ Latham Square
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/740295562752699/
Our Diversity of Tactics/Time or Space Agreement:
1. Our solidarity will be based on respect for a diversity of tactics and the plans of other affinity groups.
2. The actions and tactics used will be organized to maintain a separation of time or space.
3. Any debates or criticisms will stay internal to the movement, avoiding any public or media denunciations of fellow activists and events.
4. We oppose any state repression of dissent, including surveillance, infiltration, disruption and violence. We agree not to assist law enforcement actions against activists and others.